Monday, January 10, 2011

Where do I put this crap

     It is starting to settle in that at some point I am going to have to find places to put all this stuff.  I have cleared a drawer in my kitchen to handle little things like rubber bands off the produce and twisty ties.  I have trash bags on the back porch for all my recyclables.  My problem at this point is that I live in the country and strangely enough people out here don't really care about recycling.  I asked a few people in town about recycling and they said "Honey just dig a big hole and bury it".  I have several "holes " like that on my property.  When a piece of land sits empty for a long time like this one that sat for 100 years without being occupied, people around just kinda think of it as public property.  People have hunted and fished freely on this land for a long time, they also had been dumping their trash here for a long time.  I have several ditches full of airconditioners, freezers, washers and dryers.  That stuff is not going to just go away.  At some point we are going to have to haul it out of here.  I guess if it had set for another 100 years, maybe no one would have known or cared. 
    
     I can't help but compare it to the footprint that the original homesteaders of the property left behind.  I had seen on a map and had been told by neighbors about where the original homestead was.  It was built of logs and sod so the structure was long gone.  One day in early spring I was up mowing around the area where I believed the old home stood.  I saw something bright purple and I assumed that it was some type of trash that had blow up and gotten caught in the briers.  As I got closer I saw that it was not plastic but beautiful Iris blooms.  Not the wild little Iris called Dutch Iris but huge purple, lavender Iris blooms.  I knew then that the neighbors were right.  I could just see some little lady planting those right in front of her house facing the south so they would get plenty of light.  She left something of real value behind.  In a field full of briers, poison ivy, and trash dumped is a beautiful stand of Iris. 

     I don't want to leave behind big pothole dumps of trash.  I want to leave something that people will think kindly of me when they come across it not curse  my name because they are going to have to have it removed. 

     I guess I will encourage you today to empty out a drawer full of real junk.  Organize it and make room for little things like string, rubber bands and twisty ties that come off of packaging.  It is not a big thing but it is a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment