Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Saving energy makes me cold

    In an effort to save on propane costs,  I have had to make a substantial investment in socks.  I am cold almost all the time.  The only time I am not cold is when I am in the car or working my very large fanny off.  I have learned though that being  motivated to get moving is not a  bad thing.  There is also the temptation to curl up under a blanket and stay there with my little doggies keeping  me warm, but a person can only sit still for so long.  They say necessity is the mother of invention,  in the same way, I say turning the thermostat down is the mother of getting your hiney in gear. 
     It  makes me think of all the women of the past who did not have the luxuries we have.  They had to lug their water, chop their firewood, and scrub their dirty clothes by hand.  But you know, they never had to worry about getting enough exercise, fresh air, or vitamin D from the sun.  They did  not obsess over every calorie. In fact they probably had the opposite problem, to get enough calories to get them through the day.  How our lives have changed.  It is now relatively easy to keep our homes clean and food on the table.  We have to pay money to go to gyms and classes to keep our bodies healthy.  We might pay someone to mow our grass  but then we put on our fancy running shoes and run through the neighborhood.  I have been begging my husband to pay someone to strip my floors and refinish them but I whine because I can't afford a personal trainer.
     This is my goal.  I am going to do my best not to waste the benefits that come from taking care of my home and family.  I will try to look at every chore as a type of exercise or enrichment for my mind and my body.  This is going to  be quite a stretch for me because I HATE HOUSEWORK.  I am a okay housekeeper at my very best.  I have ADHD and I am the baby of my family so therefore I am spoiled rotten.  Only by the grace of God will I  be able to change the way I look at housework.

1 comment:

  1. Now I know why your house is so cold. I thought you were trying to keep me from visiting lol.

    ReplyDelete